Tear Sheets

Saturday 7 April 2012

FOTD - Plum Vixen

So for Day 5 of Nymphette's Face of the Day challenge, the theme was "Monochromatic". I had noooo idea what kind of look I was going to do, but it was a toss-up between black/grey and purples. I drew inspiration from my most recent nail polish buy - China Glaze's "Bogie". Of course, I bought the polish and literally came home and put it on immediately. I just LOVE it. It's from their Vintage VIxen collection from 2010. Bogie is a sexy taupey purple. I love it because under a flash or direct sunlight it looks very warm purple, like this.;


And then in natural or overcast light it can look almost grey, which is just gorgeous. It's a plumy, taupey grey.

So I drew my inspiration from that and went for a vampy, heavily dark smokey eye. I've been very enamored of the 1920s and 30s beauty looks lately, all the old screen sirens and the heavy, dark eyes and sultry looks. So That's what I did. 

I kept it quite dark all the way up to the brow, as was the trend in the 1920s. The modern touch was the dark corners, where back then the colour would be the same all the way through the eye. And the colour choice is more on the Modern side too!

For the Lips I created a subdued version of the 1920s pouty lip with a dark plum lipstick - the look is supposed to monochromatic, remember!

 The cheeks I kept a bit more subtle, with a rosy pink blush. For brows I just brushed through a little mascara - another modern element of this look. Brows back then would have been drawn on quite high, round and thin, or in the 30s more straight and extending quite far onto the temple.


It doesn't show up very well under the flash (I took these photos at night) but I extended the purple colour out onto the temple to create a longer, more sultry eye. This was common in a smokey eye in the 30s and 40s. however, to keep it more modernized, I went very easy on the bottom lashline instead of making it super smudgy and dark.



I really love how this look came out, I think I'm going to repeat it using teal and peacock blue-greens.

This blog post is late cause I'm suffering with the WORST case of Hay Fever I've ever had. I've had to skip day 6 and 7 of the FOTD Challenge because of the puffy itchy eyes and the sneezing and congestion. YUCK!! I'm sad too cause I was looking forward to the Mermaid and Alex Box looks. Maybe I'll d them at a later date anyway!

Products used:
MAC Pro Longwear Foundation - NC 40
E.L.F. Complete Coverage Concealer Palette - Medium
NYX Loose Powder - Cancun Tan
Avon Big Colour Eye Pencil - Eggplant
Coastal Scents 88 Ultra Shimmer Palette
MAC Eyeshadow - Beauty Marked
NYX Slide-On Eye Pencil - Jet Black
L'Oreal Collagen Volume Mascara - Blackest Black
CoverGirl COlorStay Eye Liner - Black
MAC MSF - Soft & Gentle
Maybelline FITme Blush- Deep Coral
Avon Luxury Lip Liner - Deep Plum
Black Opal Lipstick - Ebony Wine

Hope you liked this! I also filmed this as a tutorial, so keep an eye out for that!

Embrace your inner Vixen,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment